Music: How to name a Riddim
RELATED NEWSview more
In some instances a producer will have a riddim and after recording a series of songs will name the riddim based on a title of one of these songs. Up Close Riddim was named after Buju Banton's song on that riddim called Up Close & Personal and the Joyride Riddim from Wayne Wonder and Baby Cham song entitled Joyride.
On another note, Jamaican music extends itself to the lifestyle of the people. So, when a producer names a riddim it will very often reflect current affairs or the culture of the Jamaican people. Street Swag and Corduroy Riddim were named after fashion trends, Gaza World and Gully Stream Riddim represents the two major opposing camps in the Dancehall, and RedBull & Guiness and Overproof Riddim were given their names based on drinks enjoyed within the party scene.
Of course how a riddim gets its name is not exclusive to the aforementioned. Some producers simply feel a certain vibe during a studio session and name their riddim based on this. Sound, mood, culture, current affairs and a host of other things generally influence the name a riddim is given. It is really up to the producer however, to decide how he treats the end product of his hard work.
- Khemistry finds the formula to bridge the past with the future
- Fyakin readies debut album
- Samantha J to perform on 106 and Park
- Chronixx, Kelissa and Dre Island ready for Dread and Terrible Europe tour 2014
- Keznamdi set to rock Skyline with Reggae Revival Heavyweights
- Rest in Power Nelson Mandela
- Demarco ready to unveil Alternative/Reggae Album
- Super Cat ready for Sting 30th anniversary
- Pentateuch and Earth Cry Band to perform at Alma Mater
- Etana reflects on female artistes that paved the way for her